Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Off to MEPS and Hoping for the Best

     The roommate and I woke up early and headed to the recruitment office.  As soon as we walked in, my recruiter ushered us to the back room.  He had me initial every answer I jotted down on my pre-screening medical form and signed the form.  I had to check and sign a tattoo form for the single tattoo I have: a moment of planned impulsivity much like my choice to join the military.  A few other forms and then the recruiter gave me the hard truth.
     Across all the services (perhaps this is true, perhaps this isn’t) there are no medical spots for females and in at least my service there haven’t been for four/five weeks.  So that’s the bad news.  However the recruiter and his boss and his bosses’ boss are trying their hardest to get me this job.  Their plan of attack?  They are going to send me to MEPS to get my physical done without a job.  They hope that by showing my commitment to follow through with the physical (having high ASVAB scores and a college degree doesn’t hurt) the higher ups will feel pressured to give me the job I want.  The jobs do exist; they’re just reserved for those already in the military, and not those initial entry slobs like me.
     My recruiter said I had about an 80-85% chance of getting the job.  What will happen if I don’t get the job is that after I pass the physical, they’ll send me to the job counselor.  He/She will try and convince me to take another job.  I don’t have to accept a thing.  If I don’t choose anything, I simply go home.  Then the recruiter and I will simply wait for the job to become available.  At the very least I will have taken the physical and gotten it out of the way.  Then when the job does pop up, the recruiter will jump on it.  All I’ll have to do is go into the MEPS station, sign and take the oath of enlistment.

QBP: "Luck is what you have left over after you give 100 percent." -Langston Coleman

This could be me tomorrow.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment