Thursday, November 28, 2013

Amazing news!

I GOT INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!!

It's been a journey to be sure.  This is my third time applying to medical school.  But I was/am determined.  I boosted my MCAT score with a Kaplan course, I had my graduate school courses to boost my overall GPA, and I've worked as an EMT for the past two years.  I had a good feeling about this cycle and I was right!  I got (as of today) five medical school interviews.  I interviewed at four schools, two M.D., two D.O., and got accepted into TWO!  The other two I still have yet to hear from so I may have even more choices!

With my acceptances in hand I started talking to the Army medical recruiter in my area.  Since my undergrad GPA is below their minimum (3.2), they have to file a GPA waiver for me to apply for the Health Professions Scholarship Program.  I have an appointment next week to chat and hand over my transcripts, and MCAT scores so my recruiter can get started.

I'll keep you apprised of the situation as it goes.

Last note.  A lot of medical schools seem to want to keep anything relating to their possbily homosexual students under wraps.  I never said I was gay.  They didn't ask or assume.  Don't Ask, Don't Tell, is alive and well in our professional schools.  However one of the medical schools actually brought the issue up in the interview.  The interviewer was gay and I acknowledged that I was as well.  They went on to tell me how the school is making slow and steady progress in celebrating its diversity (of ALL senses).  It was comforting to know that I can exist as a gay person and not just as someone who is asexual until further investigation.

(Nearly) all schools will say they embrace diversity, but it seems at least in the South and midwest, that few actually stand by those words.

Anyways...I am amazingly excited to finally move forward in making my dream of becoming a doctor come true!


Thank you all for reading and supporting this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment